Here at Native Range, we pride ourselves on making sure you receive a quality welcome sign that will last a long time!
The steps we take for you!
- Our signs are made from solid wood. We do not use particle, laminate or strand board which can absorb water, swell, and rot.
- We use a durable oil based stain and high quality outdoor paint.
- We coat our products with poly, however we do not apply it heavily as it darkens over time and will discolor the sign (yellow).
- We use a water based poly on our signs instead because it doesn't discolor as badly as a petroleum based product. (The poly is also matte so you don’t have to worry about a really shiny glaze on it)
While we take these steps to ensure your welcome sign is durable and ready for outdoor display like anything exposed to the elements it will wear over time. Here are some tips to help your sign last as long as possible.
Care tips for you!
Keep it in a covered location, if possible. If your sign is in a covered location out of direct sunlight or moisture (like a covered porch), it should last a very long time without much extra help other than the occasional dusting. Your welcome sign should look great for years to come.
- Use a heavy duty weather protective coating. If your sign is going to receive direct sunlight or moisture we recommend a can of Helmsman Spar Urethane to spray on it every 6 months or so. The spray is preferable to a wipe on product so you’re not dragging dust or stain pigment over the lighter colored letters (or white paint if your sign is white) which may discolor them. The spar provides UV protection from fading, as well as moisture protection. (It is found at most hardware stores for around $10 in the paint and stain section!)